Stay connected

Enter your email address to receive notifications of new posts.


I have been dating an introverted man who I am very in love with for almost 2 years.  Reading your posts have helped me to be more supportive and understanding to him especially during the times when he needs space.  I just wanted to thank you for your weekly posts and let you know how helpful they are for someone who is in a relationship with an introvert. C.M. on space2live
I met Brenda and took the MBTI… I had a fairly good understanding of these types before the meeting but was impressed by the depth of knowledge that Brenda shared with me. She clearly has a passion for this work and a gift in imparting the information. There have been doors opened for me because of our talks… — Alan Hintermeister
Alan Hintermeister
For the first time in my life I could truly explain, through your words the way in which I experience life and myself. Brenda… It all fell into place. I had found myself and had such a moment of clarity. It felt like such a big weight was lifted off of my shoulders. Finally I felt like it was ok to be me. I was not the only one. I had found people and a little space where I fit in. … I was at work and crying on the inside. Emotions ran wild inside me. I was ecstatic, sad, confused, motivated, i…
That courage and dedication you so generously share with the world, has inspired me to push myself a little harder, persevere at each task a little longer, dig a little bit deeper to where the answers just “feel” right to both my humanity AND my spirit. Your insights have reinforced my direction and given me additional tools that help me clear my path. I’m wired into my creativity as never before and the new music is pouring out of me faster than I can record and produce it; this is the Un…
Your words are my lifeline.  I sit down to your posts and as I read I can feel my acceptance of myself and my needs grow.  Your words validate my feelings about my life, motherhood, relationships and it is something I hold onto.  And during the times when I feel like I am not able to be a mother or a wife or a sister or a friend or whatever someone needs me to be, I go back to your words and find some peace…I send your posts to my husband when I need him to understand that I love him but I need …
During one of the harder times in my life I found Brenda’s website
and reached out to her. To say the least it has been one of the best
decisions I have made. Being an extrovert I never quite understood
what it meant to romantically involved with an introvert. Brenda does
an incredible job listening, giving in the moment feedback, and helped
me understand the how an introvert functions. She helped explain to me
that I am introspective extrovert, and this gave something to identify
with and allowed me t…
Evan H.
Because of your blog, I know that it is possible for me to have the love that I want one day and that I don’t have to be alone.  — Indepthwoman  on space2live
This is me. This is me from the day I was born. For so long I felt misunderstood and rejected, even by the people closest to me, because they could never understand my need for solitude, and I had no idea how to explain it to them. Even now that I know more about Introversion and have a more informed understanding of my hard-wired need for solitude, it’s still very difficult sometimes to help my loved ones understand this profound craving for time and space all to myself. This is one of the best…
Your site has saved my sanity and my life. Maybe even my marriage. I work part time and have two young boys at home, my husband is supportive of me but until recently I thought I was going crazy. … Reading your writing not only inspires me to pick up the pen again, but gives me nourishment in the deepest places. I will fight for balance. Everything you write is spot on… And wellness is so incredibly multifaceted.  I was ready to give up hope, but understanding myself through your words is bring…
your depth of understanding, and talent at sharing it amaze me. Speechless… and for your sharing of it.. Thank you… deeply. *sigh, its like coming back into my body through acceptance….. Sherrie on space2live

Join us on Facebook

Two Methods to Alleviate Social Anxiety

woman social anxiety

What is social anxiety? In my book, The Quiet Rise of Introverts, I define social anxiety as the fear of social or performance situations where embarrassment, judgment, criticism or rejection are perceived dangers. Somewhere along the line, as someone with social anxiety, we learned that we do not fare well under scrutiny. We fall short in such areas as appearance, social skills or personality. It might have been a worry-wart parent or a bullying classmate or sibling who made us fear social interactions. Their fears or criticism made us painfully aware of our vulnerability and shortcomings.

I quoted Dr. Ellen Hendriksen in my book and I recently listened to her on The One You Feed podcast. Dr. Hendriksen has her own podcast titled, The Savvy Psychologist. On The One You Feed, she talked about ways to tame social anxiety.

What is the specific issue?

Dr. Hendriksen recommends getting down to the specific fear. She said often we have vague definitions of what scares us. We might say we have a fear of failure or a fear of not being enough. These amorphous statements keep us from resolving our fears. It is overwhelming to take on such broad work. Where do we start?

Let’s say we fear sitting with new people at lunch because we believe we won’t be interesting or have anything to say. Our co-workers will find us dull or worse, dumb.

It would be easy for our inner critic to tell us to avoid the lunch room. Social anxiety and inner critics love avoidance. It ostensibly protects us from danger, but really just narrows our world and keeps us perpetually fearful and stuck.

We could also tell ourselves we fear socializing or looking stupid. These are broad statements.

Specifics help with logic

It would be more helpful to address the specific fear, talking to new people at work at lunch. When we get specific, we bring on board our prefrontal cortex, the reasoning, most advanced part of the brain. We can then logically figure out how to prepare for the awkward lunch moments. For example, maybe we bring a fun dessert to share with the table. No one frowns upon free dessert. Or we could prepare a few open-ended questions in advance to ask our co-workers, such as, “What do you do for fun?” or “What’s been the best part of your day so far?” 

Once you have your specific fear in mind, it helps to ask these questions:

What is the worst that can happen?

Our brains have probably already generated the thoughts to answer this, why not exploit them? In our lunchroom example, we could imagine drawing attention to ourselves with a comment and then freezing or turning beet red when we are asked for a follow-up response. We could do something gross like accidentally spit food out on the table. We could make a mistake when we say something and lose credibility with our co-workers. Probably the worst thing would be that we talk and no one likes us so they never sit or talk with us again.

What is the likelihood of that happening? 

What is the actual chance of these worst case scenarios coming to fruition? Now here, we must move to our reasoning brain to determine what is the real probability versus what is our highly sensitized amygdala (fear director part of brain, fight or flight switch) telling us could happen. You could use percentages to help the prefrontal cortex activate. For instance, we could say to ourselves “I believe there is a 15% chance I talk and no one likes me. Fifteen percent is a very small chance. That means there is an 85% chance I interact with co-workers and it goes well. I like those odds.”

How could I cope? 

Lastly, we can think about what we would do if the worst case scenario happened. In reality, we would not get to give up and avoid our co-workers forever. If they did not like us and never talked to us again in the lunchroom how would we handle that? We could eat at a nearby park. We could meet a friend for lunch who works in the area. We could eat at our desk or we could go as drastic as switching jobs — although this is technically avoidance and does not help us with the next group of co-workers at the new job. We might also consider approaching just one fellow worker. Perhaps this person was the least rejecting or showed signs of disagreeing with the rest of the crowd. They might like to get away from the hostile lunch room too.

Relief from social anxiety

These two ways to alleviate social anxiety provide relief. They offer ways to distance from spiraling overwhelm or fear. We get out of the subconscious threat or danger responses and into more thoughtful and pragmatic approaches. May they serve you well.


What situations cause you social anxiety? How are they limiting you? 

couple on bench

If you’re feeling insecure or have anxiety about your connection with your partner, my online course, Attachment: Moving from Insecurity to Security within a Relationshipcan help. If you’d rather speak with me directly, I encourage you to schedule a coaching session with me by clicking here. I look forward to working with you!


Photo by Adrian Infernus on Unsplash


About the Author:

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: